Friday, November 20, 2009

On the road again

I have to admit that I do miss posting random comments on the blog. Not enough, apparently, to post regularly, but enough to re-visit every now and then.
I am on the road to California to spend Thanksgiving with my sister. I'm at Day 1 of the traveling. My plan was to drive as far as I could and then look for a hotel. I am in Belle Fouche, South Dakota at the local Motel 6. This is the first hotel with an empty room since I went through Dickinson. I forgot to figure in a few things; oil fields, hunters and Friday. I figured it must to time to stop as I was imagining deer stepping onto the road. Yeah; good time to stop. I had the opportunity to feel like I was driving a pickup again. The other day I was stopped at a red light behind a Mini Coup. Sitting up a little bit straighter in the drivers seat of my PT Cruiser, I could see over the top of this skateboard on wheels. I felt like a giant.
The drive is going fast. First off, I've driven about 4 hours after dark, and that's got to be the way to travel across the bland prairie; you can't see it, so you can't be bored by it. But more importantly, I tried something I've been telling others about for years. I downloaded several books from iTunes and have been listening to them on the drive. It really does make the trip go faster. It's good while you're on the open road, but trying to concentrate on John Hodgman reading from his new book, "More Information than you Require" and concentrating on finding a hotel in town just won't work. Push pause; find hotel. It'll be there in the morning to keep on reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment