Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 2 on the road

From Belle Fouche South Dakota to Evanston Wyoming in one day. I'm tired. I used to be able to drive further than this in one day. Maybe my driving stamina was diminished in my year-long removal from the ability to make long trips. The roads are good. I do miss being in the mountains. I don't miss driving through them at night, so you pull over and get some sleep. I went through some towns with interesting names; Chugwater and Wamsutter, both in Wyoming. They don't sound as though they were derived from Native American words, but what do I know? My best guess for Wamsutter is that somebody from the Bronx moved to this town, kept on saying "Was the matter" with that distinct New York accent, and nobody could understand him. He said it all the time, and they got used to it, so after they finally hung him for being from the Bronx, in his memory, they named the town for his favorite phrase, albeit misspelled.
Oh, I have made an amazing discovery. I guess this tool was invented while I was in Iraq, but I was lucky enough to find it shortly after my return. It is a cellularized telephonic device. It conveys the spoken word, typed word, and pictures through the air, apparently by magic. I think everybody should have one of these things. I forgot an alarm clock on this trip. What do you know, but my cellularized telephonic device has a built-in alarm clock. And as I moved further west, from one time zone to another, I attempted to reset the time on the device, only to find that somehow, more than likely by magic, the time had reset itself. The device is far too small for gremlins to live inside, so it must be magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment